Thursday, December 18, 2008

Inquiry Project Abstract

So after a later night than I would have preferred I've pretty much got my community inquiry project done. Personally I don't think it's anywhere near my best work, though my wife read it and said it was fine. I do still have to collate and type my references, but that's what work is for, right? So here is the abstract/summary of my project:

ABSTRACT
Adolescent alcohol and drug use are a major concern today. There are numerous negative consequences of substance use including medical and psychiatric disorders as well as social, economic, emotional and legal consequences. The duration and severity of these consequences is directly related to the age at which the substance use commences. In this paper, using a combination of literature review, information garnered through attending local meetings of Alcoholics Anonymous (AA) and walkthroughs of urban communities in Newark, NJ, we examined the prevalence of substance use among urban adolescents as well as the consequences of substance use and the impact this use has upon adolescents. Additionally, the relationship between the urban environment and adolescent substance use was explored. We found that substance use and abuse is highly prevalent among adolescents, despite recent education efforts. In urban areas, protective factors that may act to ameliorate substance use appear to be outweighed by the risk factors found in these areas. We concluded that a better understanding of the effects these factors have upon substance use among urban adolescents in necessary in order for effective prevention of adolescent substance to be achieved.

1 comment:

Kaye said...

Well if your wife said it was good--then it must be ;-)